24th February 2020
This week’s classes are all about improving balance. We will be working through postures that strengthen the muscles that keep us upright including the legs and core. We’ll work on static as well as dynamic (moving) postures.
Balance is a key component of fitness along with strength, endurance and flexibility – all elements that a good yoga class should address.
Working on balances does two things in the body. As well as improving our muscular ability we are also training the brain and building neurological pathways that will help us improve our balance going forwards.
7 benefits of balance training
- Proprioception – balance training helps the body know where it is in space helps us control our movements. With increased proprioception, the body is able to produce smoother, controlled movements with a lower risk of injury.
- Neuromuscular coordination – balance training requires every muscle in the body to work together. Through exposure to this type of training, the brain is able to tell the right muscles to fire at the correct times producing stable, quality movements.
- Joint stability – balance work helps improve stability through joints such as the ankles, knees, hips and shoulders. Balance exercises will also strengthen those joints.
- Reaction time improves – with a focus on balance training, the body learns to quickly respond to a stimulus and with time improves the way in which is corrects.
- Strength – balance training promotes a higher percentage of muscle fibre recruitment which increases strength to the degree that balances should be part of any regular resistance-training regime.
- Agility – being able to change directions effectively and efficiently can be aided by balance training. Agility requires coordination, strength, power and reaction time – what’s not to like about that?
- Long term health – the older we get the more difficult balances become and the more vulnerable we are to falls. The better our balance the lesser the risk of injury.as we age all these benefits of balance training will help prevent falls.
Book into a class here https://instabook.io/s2/yogawithmarie
We work on some balances every week but for the week of 24 February 2020 the theme and focus is on better balance.
Don’t worry if you are not up to the posture in the photo there are simpler, less challenging variations for everything we do. The classes are very mixed and you’ll find plenty of people with similar balance challenges to you.